Saturday, October 16, 2010

Gpsphone Cheats Dont Work

Jean-Christophe Norman, ongoing maintenance, Episode 1

After an initial meeting in July 2010, John Christ ophe Norman and myself have decided to specify our exchange in writing. The artist explained to me and what is its practice, its genesis to its development, and I respond, questions, day after day. Until ...?

Norman Jean-Christophe: In the 90s, I was, what is commonly called a top athlete. I practiced mountaineering and climbing solo. This represents an important moment in my life, during which I experienced many "situations". I've never been very aware of the conventional practices. I quickly searched for new avenues and experiences to live. And I went pretty far in this direction.



Suddenly, when I was preparing a project in the Alps, I had to stop for health reasons. I'm episodes of severe hypoxia, I could not, so to speak, breathe. Every move required a considerable effort and follow up steps had become almost impossible. It's a bit like if, suddenly, the space was reduced to nil. When I asked questions to doctors, they told me that my diagnosis was vital in the short term pejorative. This had the advantage of clarity!
Strangely, it was a pretty happy time. I found myself in a situation where I could decide I want to say make a real decision that pledge. This very particular context relieved them of the consequences of my choice. In a word, I was free. I had in mind this passage from Montaigne repeated emphasis of "the cave" by Thomas Bernhard. "Finally, there is no constant existence, nor of our being, no one objects. And we and our judgments and all mortal things are flowing and rolling constantly. "
So just when I was announced without much caution, my "situation" clinic, I decided to be an artist. I remember exactly that moment. I sat beside a window, and this decision was a leap. Finally, the time contradicted this fatality. Solutions were found. Medical procedures performed. Meanwhile, two years were up. Two years during which I developed the foundations of my artistic practice based on repetition, the "mental walk", writing, other forms of breathing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment